Thursday, October 12, 2023

Gabriela Fundora Discusses Growing Up in a Boxing Family and Her Upcoming Flyweight World Title Fight Versus Arely Muciño



“No matter what I do, my family will always be there and have my back,” Gabriela Fundora impressed upon me recently. 

She comes from a fighting family, each one of them having been boxers at one time or another and for varying lengths of time. The Fundoras’ home base is Coachella, the Southern California city with a global recognition based primarily on the annual music festival bearing its name. But the Fundora family has been doing everything in its power since relocating there a decade ago to put Coachella on the map as a world-renowned boxing town.

Gabriela’s brother and best friend Sebastian, the six and a half foot tall ‘Towering Inferno,’ held the interim version of the WBC super-welterweight title and was in line for a world title shot until just recently when he suffered his first professional defeat this past April. His sister, meanwhile, floored and decisioned Maria Santizo on the undercard.

“Sebastian and I do everything together. Whether it be training alongside each other or going to the store,” says Gabriela. “We keep each other on our toes. There is no better person to share your same passion with than your sibling.”

Sebastian is intent on using the learning experience of being knocked out by Brian Mendoza to go back to the drawing board and resume his trajectory toward winning a world championship. However, it seems as if his sister just might beat him to the punch. Gabriela will be vying for her first world title against IBF flyweight champion Arely Muciño on October 21.   

“My other brothers boxed briefly but they went a different route because boxing was not their passion,” explains Gabriela. “I also have a little sister, Fabiola, (nicknamed ‘Twisted Sister’) that is training very hard and will soon start her amateur career.”

Their father and trainer Freddy, a Cuban exile who fled from the Castro regime with his parents in the late 70s, was taught to box by an uncle when he was just a little boy and spent a short time as a professional fighter after first settling in Florida. Freddy’s second wife, Monique, had ventured into the squared circle herself on three successful occasions before gifting her pink gloves to a young Gabriela in a sort of rite of passage.

“My role models not just in boxing but in everything are my parents. They have been my life coach since I was born,” she insists with a familial pride that is unflappable. “I wouldn’t be where I’m at today if it wasn’t for them.”

Gabriela started learning how to throw jabs and slip punches when most other kids are still getting the hang of their A, B, C’s and 1, 2, 3’s. “I began boxing at the age of six,” she tells me. “I won the Junior Olympics and the Nationals multiple times and was named boxer of the tournament for Nationals. I was also named boxer of the year in 2017.”

Because Gabriela, who was 18 at the time, just missed the age cutoff to qualify for the 2020 Tokyo Olympic games, I was curious to know if she gave any consideration to sticking around for a chance to go for the gold in 2024. “No,” she responded without hesitation. “By the time my amateur career ended, Covid hit. Deciding to go pro was probably one of the easiest decisions I’ve ever made. I always knew that I wanted to become professional and I took Covid as a time to transition.”

Signing a long-term promotional contract with Sampson Lewkowicz, who also represents Sebastian, the five-foot-nine southpaw who calls herself ‘Sweet Poison’ made her pro debut on May 15, 2021 by decking Jazmin Valverde in the second round en route to a four-round unanimous decision.

As a novice to the paid ranks, Gabriela was the beneficiary of invaluable sparring sessions with Cecilia Braekhus and words of wisdom from Christy Martin. She fought once a month from July to October of her rookie year, emerging victorious in all but the last outing, a no-contest against Alejandra Martinez which to date represents the lone blemish on her otherwise spotless record (11-0, 4 KOs).    

Gabriela has shared the bill with Sebastian on two occasions, the first of which saw Fundora capture her first title by beating Naomi Reyes last October to claim the vacant WBC Latino flyweight belt while her brother scored an impressively wide decision over Carlos Ocampo in defense of his interim 154-pound championship. Her second belt was earned back in February when Gabriela outworked Tania Hernandez over ten rounds to take possession of the WBC Youth flyweight title.

Gabriela is currently ranked fourth by The Ring in the highly competitive 112-pound division headed up by unified champion Marlen Esparza. Positioned ahead of Ibeth Zamora, Fundora is poised to overtake Kenia Enriquez and Celeste ‘Chucky’ Alaniz, not to mention her upcoming opponent and IBF champion, Arely Muciño. The IBF’s number two contender, Gabriela was named as their mandatory challenger to Muciño (32-3-2, 11 KOs), who will be making the maiden defense of the world flyweight title she won by a controversial split decision over Leonela Yudica nearly a year ago against Fundora at the Forum in Inglewood on October 21.     

“We train hard for every fight. I’m glad now that we are able to take a next step into our goal,” Gabriela affirmed with extreme conviction. Not that she is in any way taking a victory over Muciño for granted, but Fundora nevertheless said to me, “My goal is to become a Unified World Champion.”

Speaking of champions, Gabriela got to mingle with the likes of Alicia Ashley, Lucia Rijker, Ann Wolfe, Rafael Marquez, Michael Nunn, and Roberto Duran to name a few, as well as fight fans from around the globe (myself included), at this year’s International Boxing Hall of Fame induction weekend in Canastota. Needless to say, she was accompanied by Sebastian, and both fun-loving siblings were joined by the Fundora patriarch, Freddy.

“The International Boxing Hall of Fame was a memorable moment for me because I was able to be alongside some of the greatest boxers in history,” recounted Gabriela. “I had my hand casted, I was even in the parade they do for the inductees.”

As for what kind of non-boxing related hobbies the soft-spoken but competitive Gabriela enjoys, she often engages in chess games and karaoke battles with Sebastian and also related to me, “During my free time I do enjoy a good book.”

To end on that note, Gabriela will be writing the next exciting chapter in her own life story next Saturday when she attempts to take the IBF flyweight title from Arely Muciño, making her hometown of Coachella proud and becoming the first world champion among the fighting Fundoras.  



(Me with Gabriela at the IBHOF Opening Bell Ceremony, June 2023)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Gabriela Fundora Discusses Growing Up in a Boxing Family and Her Upcoming Flyweight World Title Fight Versus Arely Muciño

“No matter what I do, my family will always be there and have my back,” Gabriela Fundora impressed upon me recently.  She comes from a fig...